This is the first in a series of posts about getting our writing noticed. All seven posts are now available on this site.
I propose to cover the following items in turn:
1. Writing fiction for the 21st century. Making our writing accurate, fantastic, sensuous and gripping. The evolution of fiction.
2. Writing non-fiction for the 21st century. Grabbing the reader up front, digital first, key words & participant voices.
3. Theme – the make or break element.
4. Pace – keeping our writing moving.
5. Emotion – making the reader feel something.
6. Meaningful social media – building a real following on social media.
7. Advanced social media for writers – what works and what doesn’t.
This series of posts is a free of charge service. If you have thoughts or comments on any post, or questions, please submit them at any time.
The first post is now up and available here.
I have created a separate social media blog called Social Media is Dynamite. You can find it here.
I am creating a new blog for a number of reasons:
1. This lpobryan blog can stay focused on The Istanbul Puzzle, the next books in the series, and on posts about writing and my journey to making a living as a writer.
2. The new blog will focus on the impact of social media, what I have learned about social media, and how we can use storytelling techniques to make social media more engaging. I am also planning to write a guide to social media. My qualifications for this are 20 years in IT & marketing, most recently in online services, and my escape out of the publishing industry slush pile via social media.
I hope you will visit my new blog and join up there too. If I can help you with any aspect of social media, or writing and getting published, contact me in whatever way is most convenient to you. My email is lpobryan (@) googlemail.com
Recent Blog Posts
- Emerging Writers Guest Post #36 – George Munday – a landscape book crowd-funding project
- The Dangerous Lie in Dan Brown’s Inferno – updated
- Emerging Writers Guest Post #35 – Evan Sutter – reflections on life’s difficulties
- Emerging Writers Guest Post #34 – Eric Johnson – A Look into Speculative/What if Fiction
- 98,918 hits
Click on the image for photos from The Istanbul Puzzle & The Jerusalem Puzzle
What is The Istanbul Puzzle?
The Istanbul Puzzle is a thriller/mystery novel, first published January 19, 2012. It's the first in a series of novels featuring Sean Ryan and Isabel Sharp, being published by Harper Collins and a series of other publishers around the world. The Istanbul Puzzle starts when Sean discovers a friend and colleague has been beheaded in Istanbul.
- Zuckerberg's Law - 6 ways it could affect you bit.ly/15PQ2XA 11 minutes ago
- Inside Hagia Sophia, the most important building in the world 2011 Flickr - HD image bit.ly/Ac8JLo 23 minutes ago
- Supercharging social media with storytelling techniques: #4 Characterization bit.ly/16HgEJZ 3 hours ago
- Is self help magic? - A Byzantine self help manual« Laurence O'Bryan – crime & mystery writer bit.ly/A4yxoG 3 hours ago
- Socialmedia4writers - a Flipboard magazine (Android & Apple only): flip.it/J77FU 3 hours ago
Top Posts & Pages
- The Dangerous Lie in Dan Brown's Inferno - updated
- Emerging Writers Guest Post #36 - George Munday - a landscape book crowd-funding project
- Get Your Writing Noticed: Writing fiction for the 21st century
- The Istanbul Puzzle-The Jerusalem Puzzle-The Manhattan Puzzle
- The Secrets of Manhattan #1 Manhattanhenge
- A new month long chance to win signed copies of The Jerusalem Puzzle & The Istanbul Puzzle
- What if common infections could kill in great numbers again?
- The 2nd Puzzle: The Lost Book of Magic
- The 1st Puzzle updated: What's hidden beneath Hagia Sophia?
- Emerging Writers Guest Post #35 - Evan Sutter - reflections on life's difficulties